3. The dynasty of Hasan Jalalians reigned in Khachen and resided
in the fortresses of Khokhanaberd and Kachaghakaberd.
4. The dynasty of Melik-Shahnazarians ruled in Varanda and resided in the fortress nearby Avetaranots village (Chanakhchi), and for security purposes remained in Karaglukh (Shushi) during the periods of danger.
5. The dynasty of Melik-Yeganians ruled in Dizak and resided in the fortress of Gtich (Goroz) which is situated on a hill between the villages Tokh (Dokh) and Tumi. Melik-Avanians originate from the dynasty of Yesai Abu-Muse which, in turn, belonged to the prince family of Aranshakhiks. Most of the members of this dynasty were forcedly turned to Islamic confession by Ibrahim Khan.
Raffi, "Melikdoms of Khamsa", Vol. 10, Yerevan, 1964.
MELIKDOMS OF KHAMSA: There were five prince melikdoms in Artsakh-Karabagh in the 17th-18th centuries. The union of these five melikdoms was known as "Khamsa" (in the Persian language "Five").
1. Giulistan or Talish Melikdom included the territory from Gandzak to the bed of the River Tartar.
2. Jraberd or Charaberd Melikdom was situated in the territory stretching from the River Tartar to the River Khachenaget.
3. Khachena Melikdom existed in the territory from the River Khachenaget to the River Tartar.
4. Varanda Melikdom included the territory from Karkar to the southern side of Big Kirs Mountain.
5. Dizak Melikdom stretched from the southern slope of Big Kirs mountain to the River Yeraskh (└rax).
Raffi, "Melikdoms of Khamsa", Vol. 10, Yerevan, 1964
Armenian Soviet Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, 1974
MELIKDOM: The Arabic the word "Melik" means master, prince, king. The institution of melikdoms was established in the subjects of Persia, including Karabagh, in the 16th century. The minor princes, the disunited descendants of the formerly large prince dynasties. This form of administration was introduced by the Persian Shahan Shah. However, as a system it was established during the reign of the Persian Shah Abbas I (1587- 1629). The relations of between the Persian authorities and their subjects were regulated through the meliks who had to pay contribution to the Persian shah but had unlimited authorities in their domains. The title was passed on to the offsprings of the melik by the right of succession. Nowadays the prefix 'Melik' used with the last name is indicative of the princely origin of the bearer of the name.
MOS AND KARMIRAVANK: Mos is one of those villages which were formerly inhabited by Armenians and even nowadays are known by their historical names (presently the village is called "Mozkian" which is the slightly distorted version of Mos). Like many of the villages, Mos was also a center of manuscript writing. Here the manuscript of Holy Bible was created by Script Martiros Khndzorektsi and Illuminator Movses. Mos is situated in an alpine area nearby one of the tributaries of the River Dutkhu. The average altitude of the location area of the village is 1800 meters. The peculiarities of the design of the village and its streets prove that the settlement existed from the medieval ages. Only four or five wind-bitten ancient stone crosses created by the authentic inhabitants of Mos can be found here. 1,5 km eastwards from Mos the walls of a basilica-style church have been preserved on the right side of the tributary. The church was erected from ashlar. Beneath the church the tympanum of the west-side entrance (without any inscriptions on it) lies on the slope. The style and design of the church are typical of the architecture of the 12th-13th centuries. On the map of the headquarters of the Russian Army designed in 1911 the church was indicated by the name of Karmiravank ("Krasnaya Tserkov" in Russian and "Kizilvank" in Turkish).
MELIK DYNASTIES OF KHAMSA: In the 18th century the following
five melik dynasties reigned in Karabagh:
1. The dynasty of Melik-Beglarians ruled in Giulistan. This dynasty was one of the branches of the prince family of Lowland Khachen. The dynasty resided in the fortress of Giulistan and Talish, opposite to Gorek Temple.
2. The dynasty of Melik-Israelians ruled in Jraberd / Charaberd and resided in the fortress of Jraberd on a peninsula in the junction point of the Rivers Tartar and Trgi.